Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Telephones and Tardiness

8:04

That's what my alarm clock says at the moment. It had better actually be 8:04, because I just went back and set it.

Yesterday I got a call from my boss. She said that we were short on hours for the pages and I no longer have my Wednesdays. I work 3 days a week and Wednesdays are where I have most my hours. I enjoy Wednesdays- Not only because I earn 16 bucks more on that day. I enjoy them because they present a challenge. Storytime starts at 10:30 for the little kids, so the place is full of children for most the time I'm there. Learning how to time everything perfectly without running over children all the while has been something good for me. In addition to this, my favorite coworker is always there on Wednesdays (not always there on the other days), and we usually get some time to talk about Doctor Who or something before there are more things to shelve.
I was kinda sad about losing Wednesdays and a bit anxious about my job's stability, but I decided to let it go. There was nothing I could do... And tomorrow was no longer a work day.
So I turned off my alarm.
When I woke up, my clock read 9:42. Normally I'd be all jazzed about the 42, but something hit me:
DID SHE MEAN THIS WEDNESDAY?
They open when my shift starts, so I couldn't call. I'd have to walk over there to find out.
The problem was, I had to brush my teeth, find socks, and wash the roadgrit out of my hair before walking into my place of work. And I had less then 10 minuets.
I'd already been late twice in a row the in the last weeks (once because I forgot to set the alarm, once because of miscommunication between my Mom and me) and I was sure that they wouldn't be so forgiving this time.
I explained the situation to mom, stuck my head in the tub, and ran around like a lunatic to find clothes, a toothbrush sticking out of my face all the while.
I ran out the door at 9:55. As I ran, I opened my phone to see if I had any missed calls.
There, in the corner in tiny letters, was the time. 7:55.
I stopped and looked around. It did seem too late for the sun to be that low... I ran back inside and checked the time on the microwave. Yup, 7:55. Somehow I managed to change my clock's time when I turned off the alarm. I've done it before.

So now I'm going to eat and get ready at a slower pace before walking to work to see if I work today anyway.
As of right now, it's 8:34. (Yeah, I write slowly! What do you want from me??) I'll walk to work in an hour and 45 minutes. Wish me luck.



________________________________

PS: While looking for an appropriate word for the title, I came upon the word "metachronism." Neat, huh?
PSS: I finished writing and editing at 8:34. I worked on the title until 8:47. PRIORITIES.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You rock socks.