Friday, January 27, 2012

To conform or not to conform?

 Sometimes I can't tell if I'm really smart or really stupid. An assignment in school said to pick a question that they provided and write a full 500 word report on it. I wrote answers for all of them, picked the longest, most complicated one, and fleshed it out. It resulted in a great point consisting of 89 words. ....Yeah. I didn't want to defeat it's purpose by needlessly fattening it up, so I added a note arguing my decision to hand in the report as is. I thought that you might enjoy it, so here it is! =D

"I have ruled that a report of that size on any of these subjects would very quickly result in me stating my point, offering examples, then adding many pointless facts and filibusters in order to reach the 500 word requirement. As I can prove my point in much less space, I will disregard said requirement and focus on handing in a good report.

My report is as follows:

'Mythology is a collection of tales belonging to a culture. It is used to teach morals and values unique to a culture, and so can be used to provide insight on said culture.
Modern America produces it’s own mythology on a daily basis. Every family story, every newscast, every urban legend has it’s own place in our culture and so can be viewed as our mythology.
In as little as a couple of centuries, our descendants could still be telling the story of Jimmy Carter’s rabbit incident with pride.'
"

I think that just about states my point
I also find it funny that my argument was actually much better then the report itself. XD

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a good sense of humor but I think you are missing the point. Being able to complete the task requested regardless of your opinion of fattening it up has its value. This is something you will find you need experience in the real world of corporate bs... no way to avoid it. I think you should actually do what was requested of you and turn it in. IMHO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, you do have a definite and valuable point.
      I certainty need to learn to not weasel out of stuff, but then again, not many have gone very far by keeping their head down. I'll just have to find my own balance and change as is necessary for the situation. =)

      Thank you so much!!
      -Rahel =^^=

      Delete

You rock socks.