Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?

I have come to a very painful crossroads in my life. I was browsing for clips of Star Trek (original series) on youtube when I came across a video with Data and Spock having a conversation about being human. I fell in love. I watched more clips, falling head over heels for The Next Generation with each click. How could this be happening? My heart belonged to the oldies! I loved the cheesy affects, the silly hairdoos, the bad acting. The paper mache! And yet I was enamored with the effects, the acting, the characters!! Even Spock, dear Spock whom I have followed doggedly, hanging on to every word every stoic look, for seasons! Even he paled (if that was possible) when compared to Data's purity and freedom of mind!

I'm not even going to get into Kirk vs. Picard, a frightening concept for Geeks and Nerds everywhere.

Maybe I could watch them both. Maybe it doesn't matter. They can both have my love, can't they? Although what if my love strayed from the original to TNG? I can't leave it in the dust, after all we've been through together.

Where has my love gone? I feel like a traitor. A backstabber. How could my heart change so quickly? It is madness but then, when has love ever been sane?

Am I willing to betray my Geek heritage and wade into unknown waters, leaving behind the Star Trek I loved in favor of this new copy? You don't even know exactly who will die on a planet's surface based solely on the color of their shirt! Do I want a love like that?

I'm not quite sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You rock socks.