Monday, December 10, 2012

Girl Talk

This morning found me groggy and cold. I laid in bed for a while, seeing if any of my dreams were worth remembering. They weren't. I got up and pulled on my longcoat, still in my pajamas. Still a bit unsteady, I made my way into the living room and flopped next to Mom on the couch. She was staring at a number on her phone in silence.
Then, out of the blue, she said "I have the biggest crush on our roofer."
It took me a while for this to process, so I automatically nodded and said "Okay." In the 'good to know' kind of way that I always use when someone says something intensely personal. Then it hit me.
"Wait, what?" I asked.
"Well, you know." She said, leaning back. "Women like construction workers and fireman. We like guys with big hoses or hammers."
I nodded perplexedly.
"I like that he can swing a hammer." She continued.
"Oh! Like Thor!" I chipped in. There was a silence.
"His hammer is huge." I added in for good measure.
Another pause.
"I'm a Loki girl, myself." I continued in a mock-pompous voice.
This got a laugh from Mom. "What, you're into bad-boys now??" She asked.
I immediately got defensive. "No! I. No. I just like villains." I tried to explain.
"Riiiight." She said.

Should it be alarming that I had to bring in fictional characters to understand this conversation??

No comments:

Post a Comment

You rock socks.