Thursday, May 2, 2013

Venn Diagrams and Career Options

[WARNING! Ranting ahead! Plans for future and other "fun" stuff!]

I feel like I'm in a bit of a bind right now.
...Which is stupid, because I'm very privileged and I have tons of options.
Nevertheless, I've been having a weird time. Can I just rant? Yes? Cool.
Okay. Here's some of what's going on.

I passed the CHSPE. I got full marks on everything but the math- I only met the minimum requirement. =(
I was pretty miffed about that- I've been doing lots of math and I started to love it. I guess most love is unrequited, though huh?
Anyway, I passed the test, which means that I have the equivalent of a high school diploma!
So here's my problem.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

I was going to take college, but now that I'm to this point, I'm not sure it's such a good idea. I wanted to take a sociology course. Not because I want to be a sociologist, no no. It's because I want to learn things. But then I realized... I'd also have to take the prerequisite courses. And I can't afford that. Sure, I can get some help from my parents, but that would be cheating. And college is an investment. You can't just drop tons of dough on classes then not do anything with it! You have to make money from it later on. On top of this I'd be working my ass off studying, trying to pay for studying, trying to keep in contact with my friends (which is hard enough already), and trying to be happy on top of this! Being happy is a struggle. One that I am not winning at the moment.
So I'm not so sure about college.
...But I need written permission from both of my parents to not go to school.
Mom wants me to pursue a career and thinks that I should take some college. Dad is a bit more confusing. He wants me to learn PHP and come to work for him, and he says that college is mostly a waste of time. He has told me this on many occasions. At the same time he recently told me that I have to go to school. I have no idea if he means college or high school. (Besides, he's the one who decided that we had to home school.) Holly suggested Nordhoff. I'm sorry, but why would I go to Nordhoff if I don't have to?? Besides the opportunity to create a Rebel Alliance of Nerds and Other Repressed Peoples and punch out jerks, of course.

So I have some choices- not all of them are mutually exclusive. The problem is how they all fit together.


Okay. I just made some Venn diagrams. I feel a lot better now.

Looking at this, I think I'm gonna go with Scenario 2. I'm not sure if I should choose A or B, though. Either way, I'm going to have to get permission from Mom and Dad (and, by extension, Holly).
I think I'll sleep on it.

1 comment:

  1. Just remember that to write or to code, you need to learn techniques, styles, format, formulas, contacts, resources....
    You learn these fundamentals in college. Plus many, many more useful skills that you'll use your entire life.
    Before you count an option like college out, try it out first. You can do it all!
    That's my advice, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

You rock socks.