Monday, March 12, 2012

Northern Lights

Hey all! I had to write a fictitious account of seeing the northern lights for school today, and I liked it so much, I thought I'd share it!
Enjoy! =^^=

PS! I have never been to Canada, I have never seen snow, and I have most certainty never personally seen the northern lights. All I had to go on were pictures, but feel free to correct me on any mistakes you might find!

March 13, 2012
The sun's warmth is now slipping away behind the hills, leaving only chill and unease as I shift my feet. Despite the cold, this is my favorite time in the span of 24 hours. The dawn is elated but over so soon. The day is urging, but often too oppressive. The night is wild, and it calls out like emotions in us all, often creating danger in it's wake. The twilight, on the other hand, is a mix of all. It contains the sweetness of the dawn, the compelling nature of the day, and the freedom of the night. To top this all, in the north we have the Aurora Lights. It is this wonder that I seek to witness in this still twilight.

I glance up into the sky, waiting for the miracle that I have heard about for so long. I have only just moved to the Yukon, and this will be my first time seeing the northern lights up close.

As I wait, a snap is heard. I spin around, clutching my walking stick. Jarvis, my huge German shepherd gives a low growl, warning any dangers that the coming night may harbor to stay away; Or else. It turns out to be an deer out on a nightly graze, and it turns and fades back behind the tree line leaving silence once more. Jarvis relaxes, and we go back to waiting.

Just when I thought that maybe I should just go back inside, my eyes catch something creeping across the sky. I focus on it, and the air is flooded by many colors. Vibrant green, energetic red, soft pinks and whites saturate the night around me, and all I can do is watch. These colors shift and spiral, dancing in the wake of day, relishing in the verge of night. Then, as soon as they came, they seem to blend back into the darkness, leaving only the stars to speak of their passing glory.

Jarvis and I stand in the chill, staring up into the space that was previously occupied by a strange and wondrous celebration of life. Although it was his first time seeing such things, he recovers more quickly then I, and turns to guide me back to the house.

Now lying under warm blankets, with my dog sleeping on my feet, I write of my latest glimpse into another world. Although I've seen countless pictures and read many re-tellings, somehow this gift of winter devastated all expectations of what the northern lights would be like. Even this journal entry seems like a still photograph, just a piece of time shot from one perspective, of the true brilliance that I beheld today.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! Great conveyance of feelings. Brrr! It's cold! I like Jarvis. -TJ

    ReplyDelete

You rock socks.