Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Telecommunication

I got to talk to another human on the telephone today.
You see, we have a land-line. It rings ALL the time, although it's usually an automated message on the other end or a strange silence. I picked up the phone today and heard the latter.
"Mrrr." I said and went to put down the phone. Then I heard a beep and there was someone on the other end. Our resulting conversation is as follows.

(R=Rahel; D=Dude)
R: "Meh?"
D: "Oh, hello. Is this the See-wall family?"
R: "You're a human!"
D: "I try."
R:"Oh my goodness! This is amazing!"
D: "Uhm well yes. Anyway-"
R: "Hold on. I really don't feel like listening to a sales-call right now, but I do want to tell you. This is so weird! You're somewhere in a crowded room with a microphone and I'm sitting alone in my house."
D: "Uh, yeah-"
R: "And it's just so amazing! I don't know you and you don't know me, but we're talking right now. And when I hang up the phone, you'll be gone."
D: "....Yeah. Are your parents home?"
R: "Yeah, but they're busy."
D: "Oh."
R: "Well listen. Have a great day!! Bye!"
*click*

My life will never be the same again. THERE ARE PEOPLE AFTER THE SILENCE. I CAN TALK TO THEM.
Of course, this poses a couple problems for me.
I want to talk to these people, but if I answer the phone and wait for the beep, then they probably have me on record as being someone who listens to their sales-calls. Also, I don't want to waste anybody's time. They are people too, and they are paid by the sale not the hour. Fortunately, I can fix that last one. As soon as they try to pitch the sale, I'll cut them off with "Hi! Listen, I really don't want to listen to a sales-call right now. However, I do want to ask you something."
This way, they have the time and the warning to drop me! =D
I think that I'll order some pizzas, talk to them about their greatest hopes and dreams, and declare my undying love for them; although not necessarily in that order or with the same person. =^^=

No comments:

Post a Comment

You rock socks.